Luckily or not, some of our best experiences are coming unpredictably. Proof of that statement is a bet that my friend Nick and I made. A bet, that almost got me in jail because of my stupid stubbornness and desire to win.
How did it all start?
Back in the days when card payments were not that popular and people didn’t have the habit of using their cards for something different than collecting dust in their wallets, Nick and I found the so-called iCard app that was combining the features of a wallet but in your phone. After some time and a dispute over if this app is usable or not we got a bet where I had to do not take with me my wallet for a month. The rules were simple: No wallet. No cash! The prize was €50.
I thought it was an easy win until I completely lost control. Let me tell you how all went week by week.
For a surprise to everyone, it was not that hard to start and to get used to it. I needed around a day to be approved in the app and to get my virtual card. Once this happened, I transferred all my money into my virtual account and copied all my discount cards. Since I was not allowed to take my wallet with me, I decided to play it smart and to scan my ID card, so if something unpredicted happens, I can “have it” with me.
Seven days after the start of the bet, I felt so confident using the application that I was already feeling the prize in my pocket. I was paying everywhere with my phone. I was feeling so cool. Like Neo in real life! Or we might live in the Matrix? It didn’t matter.
Unfortunately, there was a small downfall. It appeared that not every shop has a POS terminal. So every time that I was entering a new shop that I didn’t visit before, I had to ask if it is possible to pay by a card or not. In 99% of the time, there was not a problem. Until week 3 came and by all chances, I experienced the worst 1% that could happen.
I remember this day perfectly. It was a wаrm Friday. I just finished work and my girlfriend and I had a reservation in this very cozy restaurant right next to the beach. The dinner was more than delicious. I ordered steak with a mushroom sauce and red wine. For dessert, we got a chocolate souffle with a vanilla ice cream ball. It was all PERFECT! Until the bill came.
Would you consider the possibility that one of the trendiest restaurants in your town, where you can have dinner on a Friday night only with a reservation, does not accept card payment? Me neither! We were sitting there with a €72 bill and we could not pay it. My girlfriend didn’t bring her purse and I was wearing my physical card with me because of the challenge. I tried to convince the staff members to make them a bank transfer so I can cover the costs. Unfortunately, they did not agree. The story gets better.
They called the police. The officers arrived and wanted our ID cards. A document that I naively believed that I have virtually. It looked like a virtual copy of your ID is not a legal thing in my country. Luckily the policemen were nice guys and I understood my situation. I got to pay only €50 fee for not having my ID plus the bill once I withdrew the money from an ATM.
After this situation, I can not describe to you the smile on my friend’s face while I was telling him the story. He was laughing so hard that he almost peed himself. I’m a man of my word so I gave him his prize of the bet. Although I lost the bet and almost got in jail because of a “forgery of documents” I found out for myself that iCard is a perfect app for everyday use. Perfect if you have some cash in your pocket and your ID with you 😉0